Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sketch 3 of 365 - face

Today's sketch and Photoshop alteration...I am enjoying the theme of faces right now. I'm not sure how long I will stick to this theme, but as long as my pencil is willing, I am. I have always loved drawing girls. I posted yesterday's sketch on my Facebook page, and several friends commented that it was a self-portrait (sans wine glass). It was not my intention, but I can see it in the eyes, I guess. Another friend reminded me that we used to make forelorn looking paperdolls all the time. I had forgotten that, but it demystified the urge to draw girls. It's something I've done since I was a girl. I grew up surrounded by sisters, aunts, and girl cousins, so it's what I know.

So when I began this self-challenge, I blamed technology for frittering away a good deal of time I could be using to make art, and I mentioned Pinterest among those time-wasters -- but I really should have mentioned Facebook as the least productive and most destructive for me...because I really don't consider Pinterest a waste of time. In fact, I think is an amazing tool for creative inspiration in every aspect of my life. That may be me rationalizing, but for now, I defend Pinterest vehemently. Digital vision boards, people!!!! (right?)

...And for some Facebook may also be all good, but not the way I use it -- to check out photos of acquaintances I have barely known in 20 years, and read their inane to do lists -- and post my own photos and my own inane comments. Not all good, I am here to confess. I debate whether to sign off of FB permanently all the time, but I am just too nosy. (and it has reconnected me with a handful of very good, old friends.)

And I am not saying that I am going to stop. What I am doing is calling myself to account for the fact that if I have time to engage in activities that are so useless to any of my real goals and yield nothing productive, then I ALSO have time to make art. And so...




3 comments:

Createology said...

It is the balance in our lives that make it all work. I force myself to spend equal time "on the computer" and completing chores or being creative. It is my balance. Love your drawings. I also love paper dolls to this day. Blissful Art...

fran p. said...

I have always had a love of paper dolls....I had boxes and boxes of them when I was a child. I also love your art and this girl, with her peace sign, which is so you, is darling! Loving visiting your blog and finding you back!

Marilyn Rock said...

KERRI....LOVE YOUR PEACE GIRL. I CAN SEE THESE AS STAMPS!

LOVE THAT YOU'RE BACK BLOGGING AND GETTING ART TIME IN. YOU KNOW I'M A HUGE FAN.

LOVE YA....M