Tuesday, December 28, 2010

One word.


As 2011 approaches (4890 minutes from now, give or take), I've been thinking about the one word that will guide me through the coming year and help me to live my best life. Okay, maybe I am watching a little too much Ellen, or reading more "O" magazine than is good for me, because that last phrase sounds like I stole it, for sure, but WTF. I am a true believer in the "power of attraction," "positive-thinking," "reap what you sow," "golden rule" ways of life, so it works for me.

The past couple of years have been a real journey for me...a journey back to who I am. I spent a very long time before this journey in a state of reacting... to another's thoughts, moods, whims, etc., and it is amazing how far off track this way of living can send a person. Combine this with the fact that I am sometimes too much of a peace-maker, and it is easy to lose who you are after awhile. So my word for 2011 was chosen to keep me honest, quite literally...

authentic
(dictionary definition: true to one's own personality, spirit or character' not false or imitation: real, actual.)

From the way I treat my loved ones, to the way I take care of myself, approach my artwork, and tell my stories, I want to do it with this in mind - authenticity. What do I know about who I am and how I perceive the world, and how do I make decisions every day that best represent who I am and what I believe in?

I would love to hear from those of you who practice choosing "one word" for the new year. Please share your word and/or your rationale in a comment or with a link to your own blog.

I wish you all a happy, authentic 2011.

4 comments:

Createology said...

Kerri this is a wonderful word for 2011. I can tell you have really put a lot of thought into your choice this year. I will be posting my word very soon. May you enjoy every day ending this year 2010 and celebrate ringing in the New Year. Love your word...authentic!

Createology said...

Hi Kerri:
I have just posted my word and wanted you to know.
I have chosen NOW and I shall continue with FOCUS.
Happy Healthy and Prosperous 2011 to you my friend.

Peggy Beck said...

I love your word Kerri and I always thought you were authentic.
I don't choose a word but just try to live my life with the intention to never hurt anyone and staying away from people I would like to hurt. Ha ha. Happy New Year to a very authentic friend.

Baxter's Mom said...

Authentic...I love this as your word! Mine is Focus...maybe I'll actually get some of the things I want to do... done!