Monday, January 14, 2008

Size matters...


...and sometimes, smaller is better.

I have always preferred smaller formats in my artwork, from greeting cards to paint canvasses to my graphic design work --(I hate designing bus shelters and billboards -- and fortunately, I have a colleague who likes that work, so she takes on all of the "big" design jobs, whenever possible.)

So when I started following the latest mixed-media trend of creating "inchies," I was not at all surprised to find that I love them!!!! I think the trend originated with fabric artists, who began by making and swapping 1-inch by 1-inch squares of fabric, quilted and embellished with beads and fibers. I saw these miniature masterpieces for the first time last year on someone's blog, and I knew I wanted to try my hand at paper versions. I must confess that the first few I made were a real challenge. A one-inch square is a very, very small art canvas, so it's easy to overdue it. But a dozen inchies later, I was hooked!

I developed some design guidelines for myself that made working in this teeny, tiny format very satisfying, and I'll be sharing them in a class that I'm teaching at Stampassion (a wonderful rubber stamp and mixed-media arts store near my home) beginning this Saturday. This is the display board I made for the class, with my first (but definitely not my last) "batch" of inchies.

8 comments:

Cindy Dean said...

That is so cool Kerri! I love them.

Miss*Laurence said...

How difficult to simplify and reduce to that size! I think I'd find it too small to work with, I wouldn't know how to stop cramming lots of ideas on one!

Patti G. said...

Kerri, I love your inchies and of course your fab class and display board! Everyone who sees it should fall in love with inchies! (I love them too!) such fun!!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Wow, I'm agog and amazed! How I wish I lived near enough to take your class.

xxxxx said...

I too love working in small scale but haven't tried the inchie format yet. The smallest I did so far was a series of 2"x2" for the Human Pixel Project. Yours look wonderful and I love how you're using them as center-pieces for cards etc...

Debbie said...

These are incredible Kerri! Love them and want to see them close up! Boy, I thought that ATCs were hard but they are giant compared to these babies! I can totally see you loving doing these guys!! Wish I didn't have horse duty Saturday...sigh....

Laura said...

Kerri - I was just going to email you about these...I saw them in person today and they are gorgeous!
As great as they look here, it doesn't begin to do them justice!!
I'm hoping to be able to do one of the other classes (can't do this weekend).

Chris said...

Hi. Me again. I wanted to warn you about people who post too many comments. Usually, this means they are using some kind of computerized tracking program to try to ascertain your IP address. That's not me, of course, because it took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to spell ascertain. And I'm still not sure.

Anyway, my POINT, and I do have one, is that I recently made my first inchies! yay! They were particularly appealing to a 5 year old girl. But I made them for her mommy. So I don't know quite what that means.

Anyway, my inchies are here: http://prismtrail.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-sing-inchie-electric.html

I love your inchies! I'm going to make more soon because I love them.

okay, I'm going, now.