Friday, January 04, 2008

Shout, shout it out...


shout, shout, shout,
shout it out!


(Sorry, that was just a brief flashback to my cheerleading days, before my reindeer jump became a bunny hop.)

I have been waiting to post my annual list of things I hope to accomplish in the coming 12 months -- call them resolutions, intentions, goals -- my buddy Cindy prefers goals, and I think I agree. It's an action word - like "Dave Beckham scores another goal!!" Anyway, I digress.

I wanted to give some real thought to where I hope to see myself at this time next year.

First and foremost, I am setting a goal to be healthy and strong- both mentally and physically. I did not take the best care of myself in 2007, and at 43 years old, this neglect is beginning to take its toll on me. And let's face it, if we don't feel well, the rest of what we set out to do suffers. (Okay, it's January 4, and everyone in the world has made this a resolution, but I mean it.)

Second is my main creative goal for 2008. I plan to write and illustrate a children's book, for which I already have a story concept and ideas for the illustrations, which will be hand-drawn but with a cool digital twist. I have a lot of research to do regarding the children's book market, and how to get published, so I do foresee this project taking a good chunk of time. I hope simply to have a refined draft to present to a publisher by the end of 2008.

Beyond those two goals:
I will continue to develop and teach classes at Stampassion in Latham, NY;
I will treat myself to one good creative art class of some kind this year.
I will continue to seek magazine publishing opportunities that fit my schedule and whims;
I will create some mixed media collage pieces for sale and open an Etsy store on my blog;
I will develop a proposal for a class at a new venue - possibly something in the Troy, NY area, which has some wonderful alternative art opportunities - I am thinking of an art doll class of some kind, specifically.

...and that's it.
My creative coach, with whom I am looking forward to some new sessions in the new year, taught me not to make this list too long, because then, instead of focusing on the things that I did achieve, I might focus on the others that I did not, and feel failure when in fact I was actually quite successful. That is too true -- she is wise and knows me well (many of us, actually). This list of just seven things is probably already way too much, because some of these things are rather large projects, but I have listed them in order of their priority, so if something at the bottom finds its way into 2009, that's just fine with me!!

So if you have not already done so, declare a goal, an intention - something more than a wish - and work to make it happen this year! Just by bringing it into the open, forces start working to help you reach your goals!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Great goals! And count me in on the art doll class!!!

And I love that you really mean you'll take care of YOU this year. I sure hope you do. I'm very SELFISH and I want you around and healthy for ever!! XOX

Patti G. said...

Kerri, love reading your thoughts here and your goals for yourself! WOnderful and most interesting, although MANY are interesting is YOUR children's book! I know that there will be lots of work involved, but what an awesome thing and I cannot wait to hear or see more! Wishing you success on each important to you goal! <3
Hugs,Patti

claudine hellmuth said...

great goals!!! can't wait to hear more about the children's book!

Miss*Laurence said...

Kerri, great targets! I haven't even considered my own list of goals, I think it's down to actually knowing which of the 1000s of things I would like to do are relistic. "Must work on my list", can that be a resolution of its own?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerri,
Regarding "Resolutions & Goals" perhaps you might like to read Becs perspective in our shop blog:

http://www.scrappindipity.com.au/blog/