Sunday, September 02, 2007

I've moved!!!


I didn't relocate under a toad stool as this photo might suggest, although my husband wouldn't have minded moving all of my art supplies there. I just saw this singular 'shroom in the middle of our lawn and wanted to snap a picture. I will post with a picture of the room once I take one!!!

I've moved - Nope! not my blog, and not my house, but my art room!!! I moved one room to the right, to the brightest room in the house. I have been wanting to do this almost since we bought the house. When we moved in, I chose the smallest room for my studio, not realizing it was also the darkest, and really, way too small for all of my stuff.

I had to swap what was in my new room (mostly my husband's tools and ebay hobby), with my room -- which was a monumental task. I wanted to do it right, i.e., empty a room, spackle, paint, install new shelving and furniture, etc., but I am nowhere near ready for that, and I just got tired of waiting.

My husband and I have lost a number of friends and an elderly family member this summer, which always forces one to reevaluate one's life and goals. In my case, one of my reactions was to say - do it now!! You never know if there will be a tomorrow!!! Another great motivator was the fact that this is my last long weekend for awhile. So while my husband (for whom moving creates great anxiety) was at work on Friday, I summoned Herculean strength to swap two enormous oak armoires and all of our "stuff" from room to room. Max is utterly perplexed, and followed me back and forth about 200 times on Friday, not resting at all and not helping at all, I should add, but he's slowly getting used to it. The room is a bit bigger, and very bright, which will be particularly welcoming in the fall and winter.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

It is about time!! I am glad that you went and did that. Sad that you didn't call me so I could help you move the furniture!! I could have on popped over. Yes, I imagine that Max thought you were totally cracked! Penny does that with us when we take the furniture cushions to and from the deck - "and the point of this is...?"

Anonymous said...

Ooo! Congratulations on your new digs!

Miss*Laurence said...

Lucky you to have dedicated space at home! I think I might get to that once I have convinced everyone that, well, if my art stuff was all in one room, it would free a awfull lot of space through out the house!

Nancy Bea Miller said...

You go Kerri! I did the same thing, picked the smallest and darkest room in the house for my studio. What's up with us? Don't we feel we deserve better? Or that art is importtant? So glad you summoned the strength of mind and muscle to make the switch!

Anonymous said...

Ooo--I'm back...love your work in Take Ten (I just got a copy today ... what an awesome book. Really inspiring)!

Pamela Joy Taylor said...

Kerri, I just discovered your blog and I have loved reading about you and your art. I feel inspired after viewing your work. And your blog is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to share your creativity. I found you in Artful Blogging---Congratulations! 100 times is such an achievement. I am fairly new and don't post enough, I know...Great work!

DianeHH said...

Despite the overwhelming chore of packing up and then unpacking, I find moving my studio very therapeutic. If I counted the times I've moved my "stuff" up and down two flights of stairs...from one side of the basement to the other, etc. it would embarrass me. Congrats on finally making the move! I hope your new space offers tons on inspiration!