Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Have a dream...



I used to love to make and send Christmas cards. For years, decades even, I would plan my cards well in advance of the holidays, with plenty of time to make fifty or more for friends and relatives. I enjoyed the process, and it never felt like an obligation.

In recent years, however, the holidays seem one moment to be ages away, and then BAM!!!, they're over, and with them, so are all of my good intentions to make cards, cook, bake, and find little ways to say thanks and show appreciation for my friends and relatives.

But I've discovered that I love the first weeks of a new year - ALL THAT PROMISE!!- 365 new days to do more and better than before. And of course, to drop the ball way before it drops in Times Square (but that's no doubt a future post). With the holidays behind me, all of a sudden I have time again.

So I started last night. I didn't even know what I was starting. I had bought a few discontinued fabric swatch books in the fall, and the colors and textures have been calling to me. So I began cutting. Hearts. I know. More hearts. But I love them. And they're not done with me yet. And the obvious choice with all these hearts would be to send Valentines, but I'm thinking that I may take inspiration from Martin Luther King, and send Have a Dream cards.

Just a little reminder to listen to your heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a dream cards? I LOVE IT! I love your heart and hearts, too. Happy new year, my friend!

=) Liz

Createology said...

What a wonderful way to spend an evening...colorful joyful hearts. I think your idea of "Have a Dream" cards is just what many of us would love to receive as a reminder to not give up. Hearts for art...keep creating!

Anonymous said...

I love to see you using your true art talent Sisser.... I love the idea of "Have a Dream" cards. :o)

xoxo Jesse

Tabitha said...

I love your idea to let people know you are thinking of them at a different time of the year and in a more meaningful, unexpected, and special kind of way. You are very inspiring. I particularly love the photo of the heart-shaped scraps. Colorful and clever!