Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One word.


Two years ago, I found Christine Kane's blog -- she explained in this post why new year's resolutions generally don't work, and why choosing a single word to be your guide for the year might be a more effective way of achieving goals and making dreams come true. I have been using this practice for two years, and it has been amazingly effective for me.

In 2008, I chose the word health, and I shed a bad marriage, lots of pounds, and a good deal of mental baggage. In 2009, I chose the word wealth, and while I still have to work for a living, I am in a much better place than I was a year ago, and I am wealthy beyond belief in love, family, friends, joy, gratitude, and good health.

For about two weeks, I've been thinking about what word to choose for 2010. Like Christine, I believe that a single word is more effective and focused than choosing several, so the word I choose is important to what I hope to manifest in my life in 2010.

This morning, when I woke up and began my day, I tried to focus on the most appropriate word. I am a morning person, and early in the day is when I have the most clarity, so I was sure it would come to me. I had it narrowed down to about a half dozen, and as I turned on the coffee pot, made my bed, and bundled up for my walk with Max, I let them pass through my mind, trying them on for size.

When I returned from our walk, I went into my bedroom, coffee cup in hand, and glanced at my reflection in the mirror, holding this cup that I had purchased just a few weeks ago. It wasn't even one of the words on my list, but I was absolutely certain it was the one I sought.

It is the word that has sustained my sister (and our entire family) during every one of Avery's surgeries, and I know it will serve me well in 2010.

I wish you all a Happy, Healthy New Year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect word! I love this idea of a focal word, too; an intention over all. So much power behind it. Can't wait to see where the power of believe/and belief takes you in 2010! =)

Createology said...

Thank you so very much for this posting that will help me to focus! Aha...there is my word...FOCUS. Thank you Kerri Jean for being a dear blog friend and for inspiring me to create art. I feel like having one word is so much better than an overwhelming list. You are the best! :~)

Createology said...

Me again...I want to let you know that I am so excited from your blog today that I am borrowing it to post on my blog. The message is so important I want to share it with even more bloggers. Thank you again Kerri Jean. Hugs ((()))

Tabitha said...

i have that word tattooed on my shoulder, and i think its one of the most powerful and versatile words you could have chosen. best wishes in the coming year!

Peggy Beck said...

Kerri, I love your word for the year 2010. I believe it came to you through a guidance outside yourself. Would you mind if I too used that word along side of you? I wish to BELIEVE that this year I will produce some art reflecting the love Gary and I shared.

Also, thank you for your kind post to my tribute to Gary. It meant a lot to me.

Lindy Gaskill said...

I just came across you blog and art. I love your idea of using one word to focus on and your choice is very inspiring. Wishing you all the best!