Friday, September 11, 2009

Truth...



Truth.
11 x 14 mixed media and collage on canvas.

I am working a lot with rusty pieces of flotsam and jetsam that I find primarily on my dog walks. Although there are ways to rust new objects with chemicals and smelly stuff (liver of sulfur), I prefer to find items that have survived the elements. In addition to being rusted, they are usually mangled and crushed and run over and abused, and something about this appeals to me -- perhaps that they have managed to survive, and to me, all that weathering adds a beauty that was lacking in their original form -- another metaphor for life.

3 comments:

Saucy Chick Sherry said...

Great to see your art pouring forth. Found items, rusty items and all the orphaned items are wonderful for inspiration. So glad you are back and sharing.

ArtPropelled said...

Ooo yes weathered worn and rusty ....you speak my language.

julie king said...

just wonderful! i like rusty things as well. your work is wonderful.