Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Gatherer.

I have been compelled lately for reasons unbeknownst to me, to gather sticks. I have no idea why, or what I will use them for, although most certainly they will become part of some kind of art project in the not too distant future. All I know is that when I see just the right ones, I must have them.  

The sticks I gather have to have certain qualities. They must be fairly straight, with all of the bark having fallen away so that they are smooth, resembling bones. In order for the bark to fall away,  Mother Nature has to have had her way with them first, and so most of them are broken to about 12 inches or less, some have been bleached by the sun, and others have tiny grooves carved out by termites into insect hieroglyphics. They lay like an offering under the ancient trees at the historic cemetery where I walk with Max, and I can't resist them. 

I think many of us are drawn to nature and to natural elements. I know that the older I get, the more I appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds us, and the more time I want to spend taking it all in - both figuratively and literally. 



2 comments:

fran pascazio said...

Love your sticks and this beautiful post! And you, too!

Peggy Beck said...

This was me last year only I wanted the bark. Love peeling it off to see the wood underneath. There is lots of it for the asking in Peebles Island as you are probably aware. I don't know why I got it either and I have some left from last year. I used it for my fairy garden furniture and then stopped making it. I don't know why either. I just love nature and playing with what she gives us. A chance to use our creativity? She is motivating us to be creative in ways we never were before? Whatever you do with them, even if just sitting in a basket, they look warm and comforting to me. Maybe Max would like to chew on one or chase after it.....Enjoy