Monday, June 30, 2014

NEED to make art...

It has now become an uncontrollable urge, as though I cannot think straight or do my work until I make one (and only time prevents me from doing this all day). It literally clears my head to make these digital magazine collages -- or DMCs, as I am now calling them.

On the practical side of my world, it seems that the lesson I am meant to learn this year is to let go (a little) of my need for order. I do not crave perfection, but I love visual order. I love to see the little bit of world that I imagine is within my control (i.e. my house and my garden) neatly groomed -- from folded laundry to a neatly mowed lawn, and perky well-watered flowers. But this year, time, nature and freakin' LIFE has conspired against me.

A summer flu, a broken lawnmower, and weekend family celebrations have forced me to accept the inevitable - grass gets high, thirsty flowers droop, laundry piles up, and dust settles on hardwood floors, accentuated by the long-awaited summer sunshine through the blinds.

I cannot keep up this year. And I am okay with it. Now. Mostly. I prefer when things are in order. But my DMCs allow me to exercise some control over a tiny party of this uncontrollable world.

DMC - collage therapy...


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kerri; life sometimes dictates that we adjust our "sails" and you seem to be handling this beautifully and artistically with your DMC's. xxoo M

fran pascazio said...

Love these DMC's…..you know Kerri, I am the same, I feel my life is not "right" if EVERYTHING isn't done. But more adjusted people do things that make them happy…like art and read and dream…and don't always worry about how much dust settles on something…a weekend in Boston is certainly 100 x's better than dancing with a swifter….the dust will still be there 10 minutes after you sweep it up! If I can only live by these thoughts…...

Createology said...

DMCs...how fun and lovely. Great therapy to make art and not stress over what we cannot control. I too have been sick and also traveling which is exhausting. I have learned that lots of "things" can wait and are not critical for me to kill myself to get them done. Enjoy your art and honor your body with rest and relaxation. I am so happy to be home and reading my favorite blogs once again. Summer Sparkles and Creative Bliss Dear...

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE colors! Take care!