Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A glimpse of Avery at home...


I went to visit Cutes (aka Avery) on her return home last weekend. My sister Jennifer was already there, and they were busy baking heart-shaped cupcakes when I arrived. It was absolutely fabulous to see Avery walking, eating, and asking for new "projects" to keep her busy. We did our best to keep up with her, sewing hand puppets drawing, beading and pushing her on her swing set. I also gave her charge of Max's food & treats. She is a tough taskmaster and by the end of the weekend, Max was obeying commands better for my five-year-old niece than he ever did for me. At one point she asked me why Max never smiles. I resisted telling her that she was the reason -- I explained that he smiles by wagging his tail, though I am not sure she was convinced.

As you can see from the photo (baking with Aunt Jes), she still has a tube for night feeds, (to bolster her vitamins & minerals) but during the day it is not connected and she is making up for all of the hospital limitations. Her appetite was extremely hearty while I was there, which was also a joy to see. Other than limiting her salt intake, she can eat pretty much anything she wants... and she does!

For the next several months, Cutes will be confined mostly to home, to protect her fragile immune system as she continues to recover, but home is a great place to be!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you all support "Cutes" in such a cool way -- everywhere there are hearts in your family! It's awesome and she is a blessing and blessed, for sure! It's great to see her so happy and on the move!

=)

Createology said...

How wonderful to see Avery home and busy being a precocious five year old. Pink is definitely her color! Heart shaped cupcakes are the perfect treat. How blessed your family must feel these days. Thanks very much for sharing these photos Kerri Jean.

Peggy Beck said...

How wonderful to see her pictures and her beautiful smile. So happy to be enjoying life.

Thanks for sharing Kerri.

ArtPropelled said...

A very special post about a very special little girl! This is wonderful to see, Kerri.