Friday, November 02, 2007

My 200th blog post!


An interview...with myself

I noticed about a week ago that I was approaching my 200th post (blogger keeps a count), and I have been trying to think of something original to post, that is consistent with my art & life blog focus. I've decided to interview myself...Fortunately, I was available. This was the result of my interview with me...
"Do I mind if I smoke?," I asked myself.

"Yes," I replied. " Actually I do mind. I don't smoke."

"Right, I was just seeing if I was paying attention. Do I mind if I drink, then?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, I don't mind. Let me pour the first round," I said.

"So, let's start at the beginning, with the obvious question: When did you know you wanted to become an artist? Was there a defining moment?"
I could see the spark in my eyes as I answered myself...

"I remember one day in the womb, toward the end of the third trimester, and I was floating around in the amniotic fluid.... Okay, I'm only kidding. I have no in-utero memories, but I was very young.

"I don't remember the exact play of events, but I can still evoke the feeling of excitement I had the first few times I saw my mother or grandmother pick up a pencil or paintbrush, and create an identifiable image on a blank piece of paper. And I knew at that moment that I wanted to be able to do that. I know I was very young - probably two or three years old, and I thought it was absolutely magical. I still look at illustration and painting that way. I love the endless possibilities that are created every time a pencil or paintbrush touches a surface."

"Describe the perfect artful day," I encouraged me.
"I'd get up around 8 am, and walk Max for an hour in cool, sunny weather. Then I'd make a pot of coffee with cinnamon, and have some breakfast, while reading a library book for a half hour, change into comfy clothes, and quickly brush teeth and hair. I'd bring a second cup of coffee into my art room, and turn on some music - right now it would be James Taylor's October Road or Hourglass. Then I'd get started making things. I might decide to paint, collage or plan a class. Often I start by priming a canvas or sorting through bins of collage materials just to get the juices flowing. I'd work for a couple of hours, and then take another outdoor break with Max, and have some lunch. Usually by afternoon, I am in "the zone" and the ideas and images flow freely. The rest of the day flies by. I'd break around 6 pm to start dinner and give Max his evening walk. I'd have some wine and dinner and (more) wine, and then work until bedtime. I might catch a little food network or hgtv before bed. That's one idea of a perfect artful day. My alternate perfect day would be taking art classes and workshops all day with friends.. Of course, I rarely have the perfect artful day, and I certainly don't wait for it. I try to strike a balance between maintaining a home, enjoying the company of friends and family, working full-time, and making art. I never have enough time to do it all as well as I'd like."

"What do you hope readers learn from this interview?" I aked myself.

"I hope they ask themselves if they are doing what gives them the most joy, even if they can't devote all of their time to it. We all need to ask ourselves what makes us excited, and spend time doing the things we are passionate about, whether it's painting, music, physical activity, social causes -- whatever makes you real."

I want to thank myself for taking time out of my busy schedule to talk with me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you new header. I also love your interview with yourself. In reference to your ta-da-list as to where has this year gone. I for one can not wait for this dreadful year to be over. So, sorry for all of you who feels it has flown by. It has been the longest year of my life. And I have not accomplished as much in one year then you do in one month. Amazing!!!! :o)

xoxo

Cindy Dean said...

You are such a kick! It gave me a good laugh. I am watching and learning from you!

Tangled Stitch said...

I found your Blog site while searching for Strolling Village Artisans. I love it. So refreshing and wonderful. I love your ta da list. I am a recently discovered artist(discovered by myself I mean)and don't quite have the blog thing down. It was a joy to read yours!

Debbie said...

This is totally hysterical! Just LOVE it! That strip of photos is priceless! How did you do that? Have someone click pics for you? And I'm glad that you have stuck to your guns on your "no smoking" policy. ;)

Patti G. said...

Kerri,
What a beautiful interview with yourself! That was a fun read! :0)

Your new header is stunning and your digital house quilt is bbbbbbbeautiful too!

I agree with you about finding what it is that we are passionate about and enjoy immensely and then making sure we have the time for that!!!!!!! Wonderful advice!
Have a great week doll!
Hugs,Patti

Figaro said...

For the first time, I read one of your posts and became depressed... this usually doesn't happen : )

Most folks know me as Figaro, the "musical" artist. Your post brings me back to my early days of which I used to draw day in and day out. At one point, my time became quite valuable and I had to choose... I took the route of music. It's quite sad to not have the time to do everything you'd like... *sigh*... the life of a struggling artist! Great post.

Fig

Anonymous said...

Love your interview with you and how you did such a great job keeping control of it (heh-heh)!

Nicole V Lozano said...

Very witty... congratulate yourself for me on all your hard work.